Thursday, August 04, 2005

Artist Block

I had my first case of artist block over the past few days. I had to do a cover for my DC sample involving Batman and Poison Ivy and I couldn't come up with anything! I knew I wanted to do something iconic, but somethign that told a little story nonetheless.

Basically, the story involved Batman, Poison Ivy (possibly), and a buncha gold bars.

My first idea involved Ivy and Bats battling on a golden tree. Could've been interesting, but I couldn't come up with a specific angle or concept. Plus, I tried making some studies, and a golden tree isn't the easiest thing to do!

Then I thought about another idea, with Ivy standing over the Bat costume, but with flowers and leaves sticking out of the holes. Sort of going in with a Kelley Jones vibe. In the end though, I thought that approach might be a bit too misleading.

So in the ed, I went with something far simpler. Ivy in the foreground, with a few gold bars strewn about. And Bats in the bg, tied to a cactus (ouch!). Here's how it turned out:

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home