Saturday, March 19, 2005

"On Inking" (Or, "The Horror!")

Inking. God, inking.

You ever find yourself clarifying your thoughts, maybe by making your voice louder when you speak, or by rewriting something you've already written? That's what inking is. It's repeating yourself, just to get your point across more clearly. It's a monumental waste of time. It's essential to the process of creating comics. It's just putting ink over lead. It's so beyond tracing its not even funny. It's annoying. It's fun.

My first introduction to the world of ink was through a local comic workshop series. That's the first time I got to use a penbrush, which is still what I use up to this day. I love the damn thing. Although it can get a bit difficult to control the ink flow, I think the fact that you don't have to dip it makes it really easy to use. I also like the variety of the lines you can produce.

I recently bought a set of pens. Man, they're tough to use. The constant dipping is an annoyance, and I can't get the lines that I want sometimes. Hopefully, I'll improve with practce, because there are some thing that you just can't do with a penbrush.

I also use markers from time to time. Sue me. ^_^

There's definitely an art to inking that I haven't been able to acquire. Honestly speaking, I lose some quality whenever I ink myself. It still comes out okay-- but my pencils are usually better than my pen and ink work, at least for sequentials. For pin-ups though, I'm fine.

Inkers rule. Literally and figuratively. Love 'em all to death.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home